Friday, October 2, 2009

Family Campout September 2009

We went camping in mid-September, and I'm finally getting around to writing about it. We went to the Great Basin National Forest. The drive there was not exactly lovely, but once we got there, it was gorgeous. These are some scenic pictures of a few of the things we saw there. The leaves were changing, and it was cold, but it was so pretty!
One of the big attractions of this national park is Lehman Caves. That's what it's called even though it's really only one cave. We took the tour. It was really neat. Ellie thought it was a bit scary and wanted to be carried most of the time, but Brady thought it was awesome, and so did Bryan and I.
We went on two hikes while we were there. This is the first of them. It was a really simple trail and had lots of neat things to see. The forest was beautiful. There was a little stream running through it and everything was green. There were lots of fallen down trees and lots of rocks and everything was so peaceful. There weren't a lot of people there, so it was quiet. I think Brady and Ellie were the only kids in the entire park. We didn't see any others.
Our camp site was a lot of fun. There was a little stream and lots of room for the kids to run. We were in an established camp site, but there were very few people there (probably because it got in the 30's at night--about 10,000 ft above sea level). The kids found a little house in some pine trees and played "Mommy and Daddy." Bryan and I were "son" and "sister." Ellie, the mommy, had to wash everything, including the trees, and Daddy Brady went to work every day, digging the rotten middle out of an old stump. They were filthy and happy. Bryan cooked for us while I followed "the mommy" around doing whatever I was told to do, mostly taking naps and having quiet time and "tubbies." Fun!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love it all...it looks like such fun. The moose is pretty amazing. Hey, would this be a place we could take over the campground and have a family camp? All those fun hikes and the cave would be some cool activities. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love the picture of Ellie peeping through the boughs. Such a gorgeous place! Sounds like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete