Thursday, April 30, 2009

Onions and Potatoes, Anyone?

Bryan had nothing going on at work today, so he went out early this morning with the kids while I did housework and baking, and planted more of our garden. We had previously planted peas, lettuce, carrots, and swiss chard. I planted a few beets today for my own personal pleasure (Ellie will try nothing new; Brady threw up the last time he tried beets; Bryan says, "Ew."). Bryan planted onions and potatoes. I did help when I finally got outside.
Several people have told us that the best way to grow onions is from starts, so I bought some last weekend. What we didn't know was that each container has 10-15 onions in it, and they come in groups of 6 containers. I bought 4. Oops! That means we have 9 rows of onions and we didn't even use them all. Bryan says that many onions is comparable to a 21 pound turkey for two.
We also planted about 9 pounds of seed potatoes. I'm pretty sure that was more than 30 hills. We are going to be learning a lot about freezing foods this fall, if the garden actually grows. Good thing we have more room than we know what to do with.
The kids and chickens enjoyed gardening, too. They found worms and got super dirty (kids and chickens, both). Brady was wearing camouflaged shorts, so he played army by laying in the dirt and convincing himself that we couldn't see him. What a character!
Come visit in September. We'll eat onions and potatoes and carrots. Maybe we can do foil dinners in the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment