Thursday, February 4, 2010

January . . . and counting

Hurray! Another month of winter is over. Winter is beautiful and wonderful and way too long, especially when you've just moved and you don't know very many people. We are finding creative ways to use our time.

We built a snowman family and added a dog, named "Old Yeller," because that's the book we were reading at the time. These snowmen in no way represent our actual size and shape, thank goodness!

We read Old Yeller. I cried and cried. Hopefully soon we'll get a chance to see the movie, but right now we have no DVD player (except on the computer) or VCR, so our movie moments are few and far between.

We are learning to do embroidery. We probably manage to do 5-8 X's each day, and the colors that we're using are unique, to say the least. Ellie's dog, so far, is red, green, and blue. Brady's cat is a bit more realistic: orange and brown.

We have done some experimenting in the kitchen, attempting to make our own crackers that are healthier and cheaper than what you find in the store. They're not perfect yet, but with such good helpers I'm sure we'll get it figured out!

We bathe too often at our house, just to get warm after playing outside. Ellie has recently decided that she needs to do what she has seen Mom do in the tub: read. Luckily, she's realized that only light-weight books work well for this and is pretty careful to make sure that she yells for Mom to bring a towel every time she accidentally dips her hands in the water. She's such a funny girl!

Does anyone want to come play? There's still at least a month and a half of winter!

5 comments:

  1. It is so fun to see all the things you guys are doing. We miss Brady and Ellie's sweet personalities. I can totally see Ellie reading in the tub. She just worships her mom and always has something to say about what she does. It's a fine person to model after:). We'll have to try the embroidery thing. I have so much old string and things, I just never thought to attempt it for fun with Logan. Thank for the idea.
    P.S.: I'm glad you made it through "Old Yeller".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and toothy snowman family. I really like Old Yeller too. I hate having to be the one to read the sad part in books. Did Bryan finish The Undaunted yet? You are brave to try embroidery. I never managed to read in the tub. Too many people banging on the door for that to happen. Glad to see you are making the best of the cold weather. Cute kids :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute snowfamily! Our snow has been to powdery and then too icy to make any this winter. So sad. That reading in the tub picture is so dang hilarious! A girl after my own heart, too. Just don't let her fall asleep reading her scriptures in there--but who on earth would do such a thing!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a cute house! And very unique snowmen (we are usually very traditional: stick-arms). I love Brady's face while doing embroidery-very focused! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is totally her mother's daughter reading in the tub!

    ReplyDelete