Monday, March 29, 2010

Real Italian Food

Recently we finished reading the Magic Treehouse book, Vacation Under the Volcano, about the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and the destruction of Pompeii. Afterwards we read a few books about Italy and a few Italian folk tales. We thought it would be fun to eat some real Italian food, and we realized that we had a wonderful resourse. My brother, Supe (aka, Jerel) served a mission in Italy. We called him up and he sent a recipe that was yummy, fattening, very enjoyable, and very authentic. For the benefit of all, here's his recipe. (I hope this is okay, Supe!) We really like it. Enjoy!

Here's the recipe. First, you need bread dough. Rhodes rolls work fine if you don't want to spend the time making the bread dough yourself. You let the bread grow nice and big. Then you need to make sauce. Any red sauce will do. I would probably cook it with bacon in it. You'll also want to grate some mozarella cheese and cut up some ham. If you want you can also cut up some baby tomatoes. Then, you take the bread and roll it out into a flat circle. Put some sauce, ham, tomatoes, and lots of cheese on half of it but make sure to keep it back about an inch away from the edge. Then fold the other side over so it encloses the goodness inside. Then with a fork press down the edges so it is firmly sealed. Next, you'll want to do one of two things to cook it. The first is to carefully pick it up and deep fry it in vegetable oil. Or, you can bake it in the oven. I'd recommend trying both. Just cook until golden brown. Let it cool and then eat the babies up. If you've done it right the goodness inside should be dripping off your elbows as you eat it! They are called Panzerotti, (Panzerotto singular).


3 comments:

  1. Mmm...looks and sounds yummy. Are they as good as those sour dough biscuits we had at your house? Thanks again for the nice dinner and visit. Good luck with tending the pooch. I hope you don't wish I had kept my mouth shut about your dog coop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! love Panzerotti! and I've never made it for my family! WHAT am I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sounds great. Now your kids will want to visit!

    ReplyDelete