Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Simple Day at Home

I will get around to catching up on the rest of missed events in the Randall life, but I just wanted to write about today. It was Bryan's day off, which means we are usually a bit off our normal schedule. It also means that usually I would like to do something outside of the house, but that didn't happen. It was cold and we have no gas in our vehicles. So we spent the day at home.

We started out making a cake for Brady's birthday in preparation for the big production. He wants a tow truck this year. Brady made most of it on his own. He and Ellie both are getting really good at helping--they can even crack eggs by themselves and we rarely get shells in our food (thank goodness, cause there is usually poo or wood shavings on the eggs--yuck!).
Then, trying to be prepared ahead of time, I had them help me with dinner. They wrapped potatoes in foil for baked potatoes. What great helpers!

We read stories and sang together, and then the kids played. Ellie drew pictures and dug in the craft supplies and convinced Bryan to be her "son" and follow her around. Brady was busy with Legos for a while.
After lunch they started playing "Magic Treehouse." We've read quite a few of the books in that series, so they pretended to be Jack and Annie. They climbed into a large box left over from our move, sat on pillows, and looked at books for a long time. Then it was back to Legos and playing mommy.
One of the Magic Treehouse books we have read recently was called Midnight on the Moon, and had Jack and Annie visiting the moon. The books are a good intro. to a lot of things, but are not really in depth as far as information goes. I checked out some books about the moon and about the first astronauts to visit the moon and we've read those as well. I built a really simple rocket out of Legos, and Brady zoomed it around the house saying, "This is the Eagle," and "The Eagle has landed." He's learning! Then he "imaginated" his own space ship and built that to accompany the "Eagle." It's fun to see him be creative.
Ellie helped me wash the dishes tonight. It was a new experience for her. She watched Kennis, my sister's little girl, help the other day, so she wanted to do it "just like Kennis." After all the dishes were washed she wanted to play in the soapy water. She had a great time making whiskers on her face and splashing.

It was not, by any means, the kind of day I was hoping to have with it being Bryan's day off; however, I think it was just about perfect and I'd like to have a few more like it.

5 comments:

  1. We miss you in Fillmore. Can I just say again, you are a great mom. I think you should home school your kids, they would learn so much more from you than in the schools. Tell Byan thanks for moving and sticking us with the ward valentines day party. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! Your house looks nice. I hope your family is adjusting well! Think of me when you take a quick drive to Wal-mart or any other store within your fingertips! Are you a shopaholic right now? I would be, at least until the newness of living in a city wore off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like lots of fun! I let Jordan help with the dishes sometimes....when I don't need them done any time soon haha! I'm so not patient enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun having Dad home! Ellie's son, how cute! I love that Brady says imaginated. Haha! Why on earth is Ellie in shorts and a T-shirt in January? She must be as crackers as Eden (who always likes to help with the dishes herself!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you plan to homeschool? I concur: you would be great at it.

    ReplyDelete